Users who have an SSD drive have a way of speeding up the initial sync of their daemon with the network. This can be achieved by downloading a copy of the raw blockchain and then importing it.
Below, you will find out all the necessary steps for creating a new wallet, but you will be able to use the procedure when you want to restore an existing wallet from your seed.
It’s imperative that you only download a trusted version of the raw blockchain from getmonero.org. Do not download from other sources.
Another essential thing to keep in mind is that if you are booting to a LiveCD or a Pendrive, you will not have any hard drive storage available and this tutorial below only works if you have a minimum of 16GB of RAM available for storage of the blockchain. This requirement will only be applied to installations that involve a LiveCD or Pendrive and not the other regularly installed OSs.
Here are the necessary steps:
For starters, you have to open a terminal window on Mac or Linux or command prompt on Windows and type the following text that we’ll show you below, along with the instructions which are only for you now, not for typing.
- Download the Linux 64-bit command line client and then extract it:
tar jxvf linux64
- Download the Mac command line client and extract it using the following command:
tar jxvf mac64
For Linux or Mac:
- Download the raw blockchain to get it up and running really fast. If the download source is not a trustworthy one, or if you simply want to be as safe as possible, we strongly recommend that you skip this step and allow the Monero daemon to sync from the network automatically.
./monero-blockchain-import –verify 0 –input-file ./blockchain.raw
- Now, you have to delete the raw blockchain download because you will not need it anymore:
rm -rf ./blockchain.raw
- At this point, you have to create a new folder with Windows File Explorer. Use the browser to download the following two files to the new folder
- Now, it’s time to double-click on the Monero zip file that has been downloaded to extract it.
- Open Command Prompt and use the cd command to head over to the new folder:
monero-blockchain-import.exe –verify 0 –input-file ./blockchain.raw
- Now, use the following command to delete the raw blockchain download because you will not need it anymore:
Running the Monero Daemon
Run the Monero Daemon, and it will sync with the network and display the following message: “You are now synchronized with the network. You may now start monero-wallet-cli”. The message will appear when it is completely updated with the network
For Linux and Mac:
It’s essential to understand that the Monero Daemon will monitor the network for new transactions. You will have to open a new terminal window and run the Monero command line wallet, which will communicate with the Monero daemon.
For Linux and Mac:
Very important: You will have to follow the instructions that are displayed in order to create a new wallet. When you will be told your precious 25-word SEED, we recommend that you write it down on paper and keep this as safe as possible. Even if you forget the passwords, this 25-word SEED will save you by helping you recreate your wallet from any system and regain control over your Monero funds.